The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender




The strangeness of this book is exactly what made it so so so beautiful and unforgettable.



Title: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

Author: Leslye Walton

Genre: YA, Magical Realism

Publication: October 1st 2014, Walker Books

Format: Paperback, 300 pages

Rating: 5 unicorns








This is one of the first magical realism books I have read, if not THE first, and I am so happy I chose it as an introduction to this genre. IT WAS THE BEST it´s important that you understand this before we begin.



I didn´t understand what was happening most of the book and three days after finishing it I am still quite* confused. Some things were just written on the page, without any explanation, and you were left right there to figure it out for yourself. Now, usually I don´t like this whole I´m-not-talking-to-you attitude of a book, but it just worked so well with the whole atmosphere of the story.

For such a short book, I felt like I got three different books about the three generations of Roux women. Every character was so real and by the end it felt like, even though I didn´t understand them, I knew them all so well.

I loved how many magical elements were incorporated in the story, completing Ava´s own mysteriousness. For example, Pierrette who just happened to turn into a bird, or Maman who slowly faded from existence. All of the Roux siblings´ lives were sad and very full of sorrows, but especially Emilienne´s who had to carry the others´ deaths on her shoulders for the rest of her life.

Viviane and Ava were followed by the same suffering and sorrow that seems to come hand in hand with love in this book. Jack Griffith was honestly my most disliked character (considering the fact that Nathaniel Sorrows was in this book, that is something) for the way that he broke Viviane´s heart and for the way he let her live in that hurt for 15 years.

Overall, the one thing that kept going through my head was the fact that NO ONE in this book was truly happy (I cried a little bit just because of this). It felt so magical, but also so sad. And that´s exactly what made it feel real and why I LOVED IT SOOOOOO MUCH.

At this point, my feeling are so jumbled in my head and all I want to do is stare at a wall and contemplate the meaning of life and love. And can anyone explain why the genius that Leslye Walton is hasn´t written another book yet? Thank you very much

Those were my not very clear but very praising word for this book. Tell me how you felt. Thanks byeeeee


P.S. I know I´m reading this a century after everyone else but I still wanna know what others think.


*VERY VERY VERY






Comments

Post a Comment