The Sun Is Also a Star - Book Review

This was so cute. I´m dead. It broke and healed my little black heart a million times.





Title: The Sun Is Also a Star
Author: Nicola Yoon
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: November 3rd 2016, Corgi Childrens
Format: Paperback, 348 pages
Rating: 4 1/2 unicorns

                        






  I was so excited to read this especially after reading and really enjoying Nicola Yoon´s first book, Everything Everything (though that twist was kinda harsh if you ask me). The Sun Is Also a Star totally exceeded all of my expectations and I loved the fact that you can see how much the author´s writing has developed since her first book. So here are my (very happy) thoughts on it:


      1. The Characters

  Guysssss! Natasha, daughter of illegal Jamaican immigrants, a few hours away from being deported. She is a very pragmatic, fact-driven person and such a strong character. It´s amazing how much I could relate to her considering how very different we are. Her relationship with her family, especially her father, and her incredible determination to help them was really inspiring.
  Then we have Daniel, son of Korean immigrants with very high expectations, living in the shadow of a "perfect'' older brother. He is a poet and forever a dreamer, completely unlike Natasha, the relationship they have being further proof to the too-well-known saying opposites attract. 
  I loved how every character felt real, all having their own unique story. Irene, the paralegal and the attorney, Natasha and Daniel´s parents, a lot of different backstories that added so much to the meaning of the novel.

        

      2. The Romance


  I´m not usually a big fan of insta-love but I feel like it fit well with the whole dynamic of the story. It was cute, fast, but very intense, making it possible to convince even a science-brain like Natasha's to believe that maybe true love really exists. The two connected from the beginning, Daniel´s innocence and dreaminess with Natasha's skepticism and reluctance.
  Sometimes I forget it all happens in a day, because the whole love story is so believable and deep and you become so immersed in it that you don't remember all of the things making it so impossible (if only Natasha would stop reminding you every two chapters).



      3. The Message


  I think the view on immigration, both legal and illegal, is really helpful for those of us out there who haven't really had any experience with it and would want to understand what it feel like. Other important ideas that come up in this book are the prejudices between different nationalities living together but still so separately in the U.S. and all over the world.


      4. The Writing


  Nicola Yoon´s writing doesn't blow minds but it does warm hearts. Her short chapters, that sometimes contain information not seemingly important to the story, but that make readers feel so much closer to it, give the book a very fast-paced, fun but also meaningful atmosphere.


      6. The Ending


  That´s where my half of unicorn goes... I wasn´t really happy with the ending. It felt a bit abrupt, though I love how it tied in with Irene´s story. I guess the book was just really fast and intense and I wasn't expecting that but I do understand it was needed for the overall story and it was still a pretty good ending.


Wooooow. Do you know this is my first ever review? It feel so weird. It probably isn't the best but they´re my honest book-loving opinions so I hope you liked it. Byeeee
  













Comments

  1. I love this book, too. It's a bit heavier, I thought, than Everything, Everything but Nicole did a fantastic job with the multicultural representation in her book. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was awesome! You're the first official comment on this blog! Thank you so much! Also, I just found your blog and I really love it!

      Delete

Post a Comment